We do our best in terms of ReSharper performance, however there are some known and unknown cases where ReSharper can slow down Visual Studio.
Here are some key points to troubleshoot and fix the performance issues with ReSharper.
- Hardware. Though the recommended hardware is Dual-Core CPU and 4 Gb RAM, this configuration can be a bottleneck when working with ReSharper on a big-sized solutions. Adding more RAM and using a Solid State Drive (SSD) instead of HDD can help a lot.
- OS. ReSharper is operating with memory a lot, so we recommend to use modern x64 OS, like Windows 7 x64 and Windows 8 x64. Old operation systems, like Windows XP, are known to be a cause of the poor performance.
- Visual Studio configuration. ReSharper may conflict with the other Visual Studio addins and extensions - in case of slowdowns, please try to disable the other addins one-by-one and check if it helps to speed up VS with ReSharper. Here are some examples of known compatibility issues with other addins:
- Productivity Power Tools
- Automatically adjust visual experience based on client performance
- Use hardware graphics acceleration if available
- ReSharper configuration. Though ReSharper provides quite a few powerful and useful features, some of them can be tweaked or turned off in terms of improving the speed. Here are some examples:
- Turn off Solution Wide Analysis (SWA) in "ReSharper | Options | Code Inspection | Settings", 'Analyze errors in whole solution' checkbox
- Switch back to Visual Studio IntelliSense in "ReSharper | Options | Environment | IntelliSense | General" dialog
- Clearing caches for current solution in "ReSharper | Options | Environment | General" dialog
- Verifying that slowdown is caused by ReSharper. To do that, simply suspend ReSharper as described here and check if performance issues are still present.
- Trying other suggestions. Almost all known scenarios and steps to speed up Visual Studio with ReSharper are covered in this document: Ultimate Guide to Speeding Up ReSharper (and Visual Studio).
- Using built-in dotTrace Performance Profiler core. If performance issues are crucial, you may capture a performance snapshot and upload it to JetBrains Team, so we can investigate the performance issue you encounter and give some specific recommendations for you - please follow steps described in that article